You feel the aches and pains start and realize that it is going to be impossible to finish your daily routine, let alone your work tasks. Low back pain is the second most common reason Americans visit a physician. A list of common events that cause low back pain include:
- Car accident
- Operating heavy, vibrating machinery
- Sitting for long periods of time
- Lifting heavy items (packages, machinery, etc.) and twisting
Common approaches to managing low back pain include NSAIDs and/or other pain management medications, physical therapy, and possible surgery. These solutions mask the pain of low back problems but fail to address the underlying cause.
How is Low Back Pain related to the Neck?
Your spinal cord sends signals to and from your brain. Your nerves branch off of your brain and spinal cord. Your spine is designed to protect your vital spinal cord. When the top bone in your spine (atlas) is out of alignment, it creates spinal cord tension. This tension leads to the signals becoming distorted. Improper signals can lead to postural imbalance, pain, and muscle spasms. One of the ways an atlas misalignment can create low back pain is through postural imbalance. Muscle tension can increase on one side of the body, causing one hip to be higher than the other. This causes one leg to be slightly shorter than the other.
To learn more about the connection between head and neck injuries and low back pain, download our complimentary e-book by clicking the image below.
I am trained in QSM3 and NUCCA, two precise chiropractic techniques. Through the use of these approaches, I am able to gently realign the atlas, reducing pressure within the spinal cord. This leads to proper signals being sent to and from the brain, potentially creating balanced posture. Less muscle tension leads to even hips, possibly reducing low back pain symptoms.
Chung et al. described a case study of a 57-year-old man who experienced sciatica down both legs, along with other health issues. After approximately one month of NUCCA care, his sciatica pain reduced by 90%. After 2 months of care, he experienced complete resolution of his sciatica (2).
If you are experiencing low back pain and would like more information on how QSM3 and NUCCA can help, give Upper Cervical Chiropractic of Sacramento a call at (916) 965-7155.
- Hills E. Mechanical Low Back Pain Clinical Presentation: History, Physical [Internet]. Emedicine.medscape.com. 2016 [cited 7 February 2016]. Available from: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/310353-clinical
- Chung J, Brown J, Busa J. Resolution of Hypertension Following Reduction of Upper Cervical Vertebral Subluxation: A Case Study. J Upper Cerv Chiro Res [Internet]. 2014 [cited 8 February 2016];2014(January):1-6. Available from: http://www.mccoypress.net/juccr/docs/2014-1272_hypertension.pdf
To schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Gottlieb, call 916-655-0569, or just click the button below.
If you are outside of the local area, you can find an Upper Cervical Doctor near you at www.uppercervicalawareness.com.